Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A little bit of nostalgia

When I was in high school, my friends and I put together a "Pet Peeves" list. It was a constant source of discussion at the lunchroom table, and the list became an entity unto itself.

Here's my own grammar/spelling version for September 7, 2005.

~ Your/you're, there/their, less/fewer, its/it's - they're not that difficult to tell the difference between!

~ "Irregardless" is not a word. "Regardless" is.

~ Saying "we was," "they done," "you is," and "ax a question" are good ways to show people you're a moron.

Get it straight, dammit! Not surprisingly, most of the people I know that make these errors are the same ones that complain about Mexican immigrants not speaking enough English. Way to set a good example when you can't even speak/write your own language, you big dumb animal!

2 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, September 07, 2005, Blogger catlover926 said...

I agree completely! But as a proud Okie, I reserve the right to use the term "fixin' to" without being deemed a moron. One should know when it's okay to say "fixin' to" or when one should more properly say "preparing to." Speaking casually to my niece, I'm fixin' to do something. Speaking to the president or Queen Elizabeth, I'm preparing to. There's a difference!

 
At 10:19 AM, September 08, 2005, Blogger FishFinderAZ said...

I am a firm believer that grammar and the proper use of the "English" language are a thing of the past for most Americans. Most Americans now speak and write some distorted form of uneducated, IM jive. It baffles me that even college graduates cannot put together a complete, intelligent paragraph (even digitally with all the Microsoft spellcheckers and grammar correction). I have reviewed scientific manuscripts from respected authorities in my field and been awed at the poor grammar and word choice. Even worse, my office mate actually asked me once, "how do you spell the past tense of the word 'fall'?" I have no clue what he was confused about, but I struggle to not judge him (or laugh in his face, for that matter) for how moronic his questions are at times. He had a phone interview once for a graduate position and I overheard him describe his previous living/working environment as "incestuous at times." (I assumed he meant tempestuous, but I will never know for sure.) And yes, he's from Nebraska... just like your DH!! Surely the stupid disease isn't in the corn. Also, in my search to purchase a new home... I wish I had a dollar for every house with a "dinning room" that we have seen.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home