Thursday, December 15, 2005

Interesting day

Wow. What a ride the last 24 hours has been. Has been? Have been? Dunno.

Last night, at about 12:30, our two girl dogs got into a tussle in the kitchen over some scrap or crumb. I put the muzzle on Lucy, a 50+ lb. lab mix, and was getting the muzzle on the smaller girl, Betty, a 22 lb. beagle, when I realized her ear was bleeding. Lucy had nipped a quarter-inch slit in the edge of Betty's ear. *sigh*

I applied pressure with some tissue after cleaning the wound with peroxide. The bleeding would stop, and then Betty would shake her head and fling blood. This happened a couple of different times before my husband and I decided to apply a large Band-Aid with Neosporin to the wound, and then Ace bandage Betty's ear to her head. She hates it, but tough shit. She's the instigator in any of these little scuffles they have over food. Betty has food aggression, and Lucy doesn't know her own strength.

Anyway, Betty came to work with me today so I could keep an eye on her ear. We went from Ace bandage to masking tape when she was clearly uncomfortably hot and panting. It sounds awful, but the tape mostly sticks to itself, and is wrapped around her head just enough to hold the ear down so it can scab over.

So that was fun.

Later this afternoon, despite having my baby dog by my side, I began having some of the old familiar anxiety creeping upon me. The things that annoyed me were all small in and of themselves...mostly the inefficiencies and disorganization of the place where I work...and the fact that our lazy ghetto ass 19 year old baby mama receptionist is too lazy to transfer any phone calls, so she simply pages over the intercom for every incoming call. "So and so, you have a call on 501." Her voice grates my last fucking nerve. I almost unplugged my phone.

I am renewing my commitment to finding good audiobooks to load on the ole iPod Shuffle, so I can plug my ears with decent literature while working. It really passes the time, and I actually work better than when I'm just listening to music.

I listened to Dean Koontz's Velocity earlier this week. It rawked. I love his writing style- he is not afraid to use unusual words, and his metaphors are out of sight.

This evening has been good.

I just got done watching CSI, which I hadn't seen in several weeks. Good stuff. I'm all over the blood and guts and science of it. I know many of their tactics are bullshit (no police department in this country has the resources they have, especially to process their own DNA evidence, and crime scene techs do not interrogate suspects), but I can look past that.

By the way, the Las Vegas CSI is the only CSI worth watching, in my opinion.

Now, of course, I'm on the computer blogging and listening to Aqualung while my husband snores away on the couch.

When what to my wondering eyes did appear, but an interesting news headline on Yahoo: "Freeman Criticizes Black History Month." So I click on the link and the article absolutely impresses me. I mean, I knew Morgan Freeman was the shiznit as an actor, but I had no idea he was smart too!

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."

The actor says he believes the labels "black" and "white" are an obstacle to beating racism.

"I am going to stop calling you a white man and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man," Freeman says.


Well, skin me alive and call me luggage. It's about time someone non-white said it. Time to do away with all the other institutionalized racism, while we're at it: Black Miss Anything pageants, race-based scholarships, racial quotas in corporate hiring or school admissions, and school bussing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home