Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My new part time gig

I haven't blogged much about this yet, but I'm a total dog nut. My husband and I have three, two beagles and an urban hybrid. I even make regular visits to a beagle owners' forum, where beag lovers from all over swap stories and pictures.

I'm totally retarded for my dogs, your dogs, homeless dogs, the neighbor's dogs, purebred dogs, genetically miscellaneous dogs, big dogs, little dogs, etc.

I had my first day of volunteering with our local Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF) last Saturday. I went to PetSmart from 9:30-2 and helped show dogs and cats available for adoption. I plan to go back once or twice a month.

It was so much fun! There were two beagles there that need homes- a 1 year old boy called Copper and a 14 week old girl called Jenny. I got to play with them and show them off.

Of course, I didn't neglect the other needy dogs! They were all very sweet and lovable. I'd have taken them all home if I could, especially the two sweetie pie freakin' adorable Doxie mixes, Cinnamon and Dumpling.

I also visited with lots of dogs that came in to shop, including an awesome beagle whose job it was to hear for her hearing impaired human. Sadly, I forgot her name, but she was a sweet and hardworking beagle girl!

I even helped a lady with a young Boston terrier who came in for a puppy obedience class. She was having trouble walking the adorable lad, as he had a tendency to choke himself with excitement. So I recommended a body harness, and lo and behold, she bought him one.

It was a great day all around. I am looking forward to my next shift.

There was one caveat, however. (Isn't there always?)

For some reason, the humans I worked with were less than friendly. I don't know if they think I'm not going to come back, or that maybe I'm just like the two high school girls who were there only because they need service hours for school. Hopefully, if that is the case, they'll see that I'm there because I love animals, and I want to help get them good homes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home