Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The long, slow demise of proper etiquette

Another nail in the coffin of proper etiquette...the fading away of the RSVP. What is it with the lowly RSVP that causes people to shun it so? I've had three instances in which invitations for an event were mailed with a clearly stated request for a reply. In each situation, I had to track down many of the invitees and see if each was planning to grace the event with their presence. And, in each, I had people who declined the invite show up, and people who said they would come but did not.

The first event was my sister's bridal shower. The second was my own wedding. The most recent is my baby shower, being graciously hosted by two of my aunts. The party in honor of my sweet unborn daughter will be held on Nov. 11th. So far, only one person has called to give their response to my aunts.

What gives?

1 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, October 27, 2006, Blogger The Errant Cook said...

Well, m'dear auntie, I'm not worried about your RSVP. I'm assuming you'll be there, if only for the chance to ogle and pet clothing made for wee tiny girls. (No, folks, she's no pederast- rather, the momma of 3 quite hairy almost grown sons.)

The other Aunt B is hosting this at her request- Aunt D is only included because it's her house being used for the party locale. Aunt D, in her usual buttinski way, tried to assert some authority over the guest list, but was promptly rebuffed by yours truly.

My main gripe is about the instances past, not so much the current one. I know this one is still in the horizon somewhat, but I still want to know who's coming right away because that's the kind of neurotic weirdo I am! XD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home