Wednesday, November 09, 2005

When do you ask for a raise?

When does one ask for a raise from one's boss?

I've been in my current position for just over a year at the same rate of pay. This position was a promotion from a lower one, and came with a $1.00 per hour raise last fall.

The job I do now was created when it was offered to me. No one had been doing what I do before, and no one in the company can do it now either.

My basic function is one of accounting. It's basic stuff such as clearing checks, wires, and deposits, with the daily messes thrown in.

The clincher, in my opinion, is that my plain ole accounting has a serious fiduciary responsibility to it.

I'm doing escrow accounting, with one of our bank accounts carrying an average daily balance of around $10 to $15 million.

Yes, MILLIONS.

None of it is our money; it all belongs to people obtaining mortgages.

Hence, the responsibility.

My main job entails reconciliation of the bank accounts each month. Last month, I had my largest discrepancy thus far, a whopping $0.85 cents off in the balance.

In months previous, the discrepancy has been zero to $0.05.

So why shouldn't I ask for a raise?

My husband seems to think I should just let it be.

Bullshit, I say.

I'm the only person here with an office who's not a manager. I don't have any underlings to call my own, but I sure as hell have a lot on my shoulders. I don't really care if I have the manager title or not, but I think I have earned a raise.

It seems only fair. Comments?

1 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, December 05, 2005, Blogger ~ruthie said...

you ask for it when you feel that your job responsiblity deserves it. If you are in a position that has responsiblity, and wasn't established prior to you taking responsiblity for the duties, then you probably deserve a raise.

to ensure you get it, make sure you can present yourself in the best light possible. note the responsiblity that you have, if you've made any noticable improvements to the organization (especially if you've saved them money in any capacity). maybe you can do some research with ASE (american society of employers) for salary ranges for positions similar to what you do in the same geographic area.

good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home