Friday, June 02, 2006

Why I'm going to be a stay at home mother

I wish I could take the credit for writing this, but I saw it on a stay-at-home parent internet forum.


MY REASONS FOR BEING A STAY-AT-HOME MOM:

1. I am selfish – why should someone else enjoy my beautiful children while I slave away to pay for it? Why should someone else get that glorious affection my children give out? I want it for me!

2. I am arrogant – no one can raise my kids as well as I can. No one feels about them the way I do. No one knows them like I do.

3. I am super cautious – I’m fastidious about safety, about guarding against abuse, about sensitivity to their feelings and what media they are exposed to. By being around all the time, I don’t have to take chances on these issues – I know they are safe.

4. I enjoy working in a team – my partner and I work together well, we complement each other in parenting, and I like doing this with him. It’s something else that makes us closer.

5. I am poor and proud – I have so much self esteem that I don’t need great furniture or expensive clothes or a fancy house and car. I’m such a snob that I don’t need money beyond the bare essentials. My kids are my jewelry.

6. I am lazy – by raising secure and un-hassled kids who feel safe and settled, I am making it easy for myself later on. I’m planning to cruise through their adolescence. And I’m teaching them fifty kinds of housework.

7. I’m ‘into it’ – I enjoy the progress, the affection, the freedom to set my own pace, to decide how I will spend my time, the social get-togethers with other parents, the effect of the seasons on our activities, how my kids keep me young, and that I am (for this short time) the center of their world.

1 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Lobster Boy said...

and often times day care costs as much as you would've made anyhow. If you can save from going out to eat by being home to prepare meals, save on a sitter, save on the commute, and save on wear and tear on a vehicle it can actually "cost" you little. Of course you have to be willing to spend most of your day with someone who can't carry on a conversation with you for the next 3-4 years.

Lobster Boy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home